This is for all those users of Samsung Epic 4G Touch who are looking ahead to root their phone. Trust me, the method does not require much pain and helps you root Samsung Epic 4G Touch easily. Please make sure that your Samsung Epic 4G runs Android2.3.4 Gingerbread as this method is only for Gingerbread running device. If you are running Android 2.2 Froyo, make sure you update it to Gingerbread 2.3.6. It is an official update and hence can be updated easily.
In most of our previous tutorials we have been discussing the advantages of rooting your Android phone. The significant ones include customizing your Android phone in a way you want it to be, uninstalling system apps which Samsung gives you on your phone. This helps you free up some space on your phone. You can also convert downloaded apps to system apps if you have rooted your phone. You can buy Samsung Epic 4G Touch free phones like this here.
Before you proceed please be informed that rooting will void the warranty of your device. But this is not something to worry for as you can get your warranty back if you flash the stock Firmware or update your phone with any official update provided by Samsung.
There are chances that you might lose some important data on your phone. Though rooting rarely results in loss of data, it is always better to have a backup of everything.
- Backup all applications using ASTRO File Manager which also lets you store the backed up file on its servers.
- Backup all contacts to SD card.
- Most of the SMS applications let you back up SMS to your SD card. You can use Go SMS or Handcent which are the most famous ones.
- Make sure you have KIES installed as this procedure will require your phone to be connected to the PC via USB Cable.’
- Odin [Download] is required to flash the rooting package.
Steps to Root Samsung Epic 4G Touch
After you complete all the steps mentioned above in the Prerequisites section, you can proceed with the steps to root Samsung Epic Touch 4G.
- Download epic4gtouchrootv1.zip from here from which you can get the file SPH-D710_Zedomax_Kernel.tar
- Extract the files to a separate folder on your PC.
- On your Samsung Epic Touch 4G, press the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously unless you see an option screen. After this, release the two buttons and press the Volume Up button to boot into Download mode.
- Run Odin.exe
- Connect your phone to the PC via USB Cable.
- When you do this, the Odin should show a yellow sign which indicates your phone has been connected to the PC.
- Now, click on PDA and select the file SPH-D710_Zedomax_Kernel.tar which you had in Step 1.
- Click on Start and your phone will be rooted.
In this way, you can easily root Samsung Epic 4G Touch.